Top Reasons to Buy an Electric Vehicle (EV)
- There’s never been a better time to buy an EV with the available federal and state tax incentives. With up to $7500 Federal Tax Credit and $2000 New York State Rebate, many models cost the same or less than their gasoline-powered equivalents.
- EVs can save you over half what you currently spend on gas, up to $75-$100 per month. Electric motors are more efficient – up to 80% of the energy is transferred directly to power the car, compared with only 14-26% of the energy from gasoline-powered vehicles.
- EVs also require less maintenance over time. Items that do not need to be replaced include oil, fan belts, air filters, timing belts, head gaskets, cylinder heads and spark plugs. Also, since an electric motor can slow itself down, the use of brake pedals is reduced so brake pads and rotors last longer.
- Cut your commute time – Clean Pass Vehicles are eligible to use the LIE HOV.
- EVs are fun to drive with faster pickup with their high-torque electric motors. They are also much quieter than traditional cars.
- There are currently over 40 EV models available including plug-in electric vehicles (PEV) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV), meeting a wide range of needs for vehicle size, vehicle type and fuel range.
- EVs are zero emissions vehicle, greatly improving local air quality. Net carbon emissions are half that of gas-powered cars, and as the electric grid moves to cleaner forms of energy, the net greenhouse gas emissions will get even lower – even for older models.
- Driving an EV helps move the United States toward energy independence by not relying on imported petroleum to fuel our cars.
- Used EV batteries are recycled so they won’t end up in a landfill. The batteries typically last about 10 years in family cars and four years in harder-working buses and taxis. However, a typical EV battery retains about 50 percent to 70 percent of its power capacity upon removal and are ideal for less- demanding tasks such as storing electricity from solar panels.
- Skip all those trips to the gas station – EV refueling is as easy as charging your iPhone at night. You can use a regular electrical outlet, or you can affordably invest in an upgraded outlet and Type II charger that speeds up the charging time.
- When you charge on the road, there are cool apps that can guide you to the closest charging station.
Take advantage of all the tax incentives and rebates available for electric vehicles and charging stations. There’s never been a better time to buy electric!
Join us at a Ride and Drive or Electric Vehicle Showcase near you!
There are many resources available to help you decide if an electric car is right for you!